A few weeks ago we found out my father-in-law Herb had stage 3 liver cancer. He was approved for surgery in Dallas to have the tumor removed and I couldn't have been more thrilled. He went into it with a great attitude and after over 5 hours (!!!) we got the news that the procedure had gone well! He had to have some major arteries reconstructed and had the help of a few blood transfusions--a reminder that me giving blood a couple times a year is not a waste of time, just one patient got three times what I give at a time! He came out of sedation on his own soon after, which was awesome, though his heart and kidney function was not great. So we did a lot of hanging out in waiting rooms, retreating to the hotel for naps, repeat. Here is a list of the things I am really thankful for in this time...
- A reeeeeaally nice hospital with top quality equipment
- Abnormally nice staff at said hospital...everyone is confident and smiling and friendly--even the cafeteria lady asked about Herb!!
- An army of friends at home praying
- The free shuttle to the hospital that the hotel had, so we didn't have to worry about driving back and forth and parking nightmares.
- Dallas had some super cool restaurants that gave us a chance to take a break and have some laughs.
- The hospital had really neat art and great views (shown above) for watching clouds roll in and sketching
- Work let us all take a little time off without any complications
- Everyone has been in great spirits, and that's huge!!!
See, lots of happy!!! Let's hope it all keeps up :) Keep praying everyone and love you all!!!